Thread: Help please - [Access to Female Desperation] - [Provided]

Default Help please - [Access to Female Desperation] - [Provided]

When I try to visit Ger's site at www.members.easyshag.com/femaledesperation/ I keep getting an error message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I've clicked on the "Diagnose Connection Problems" and been told that "Windows sent the request to the DNS server and the server responded that the name was unknown"

Is there something wrong with the site, something wrong with my computer or connection, or has the address changed and I haven't noticed (something wrong with the Operator - the source of so many "Computer Problems")

Thank you very much in advance for any help and advice you give

Yours' Wetly

Dougie

Default Re: Help please

I get the same clicking your link.

However, if I use my own shortcut, it works fine. Try http://members.easyshag.com/femaledesperation/. I think you grew a www by mistake... so it is your option of user error!
    Regards, Wet Trousers (WT)
    (I was over 18 in the pics used to make my avatar - in fact, the trousers were nearer 18 than I was!)

Default Re: Help please - [Provided]

Thank you very much for your help WT. Your link worked fine. Funny thing it's been in my favourites for years but only stopped working last week or two. Better put the right address in now

Thanks again, your's wetly

Dougie
    Last edited by wscot_uk; Thu, 18 Dec 08 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Typo

That has probably everything to do with Skymouse moving everything to a new server. I guess the WWW in front of it had a redirection that doesn't work anymore. (Or still redirects to the old server)

Ger is correct–when I moved servers (including Ger's site, which is hosted together with my sites) I screwed it up at first and the "www." version didn't point to anywhere. It should be working in the correct way now, so that if you visit a page starting with hostname "www.members.easyshag.com" it will redirect you to "members.easyshag.com", which is the canonical hostname for Ger's site.

For linking purposes, search engines, etc., the preferred home page address of Ger's site is exactly (and only) like this:

http://members.easyshag.com/femaledesperation/

(all lower case; no "www"; a slash at the end).

SM

On a purely nerdy and technical side-note, whenever you have a URL that works correctly both with and without a slash at the end, it is usually better to use the version with the slash.

Why? Because if you type the version without a slash in your browser, what actually happens (in most cases) is that the web site doesn't immediately display the page. Instead, it sends your browser a "301 Permanent Redirect" response, and a "Location:" header containing the same URL but with a trailing slash added. Your browser then sends out a second request, this time with the slash added, and the web server this time obliges by sending you the actual page. This all happens automatically behind the scenes so it just looks like your browser simply added in a slash at the end of what you typed, but in reality there are extra (and needless) transfers of data.

SM