Thread: About Firefox 5.0

Unhappy About Firefox 5.0

My computer automatically upgraded from Firefox 4.0 to the 5.0 version. And from that moment on I couldn't access my own (Female Desperation) site anymore. I got to the disclaimer page but that was it. Since version 4.0 I - and a lot of others - have to press the link twice to go to the menu page. But in version 5.0 it seems to block something in the referrer header. And it that case I think the hotlink protection works too good.

I downgraded back to Firefox 4.0 so I can at least access my own site again. Hehe. I wonder if more people have this security problem. Perhaps the hotlink protection should be changed. Skymouse? Or is there a setting somewhere in FF5 that needs to be swtiched on/off?

Any help would be welcome.

Ger.

Default Re: About Firefox 5.0

Hi Ger,

I'm also using Firefox 5.0, and have not seen any problems accessing your site. However, I have heard another person mention a similar problem, and I think he is also using Firefox 5.

As you mention, it is almost certainly an HTTP refer header problem. It sounds as if your browser or some other software is blocking it. Maybe you have some type of plugin or extension in Firefox that got broken when Firefox updated? I would maybe try running FF 5 with all plugins and extensions disabled, and see if the problem still occurs. Meanwhile, I will see if I can diagnose what is happening.
    --
    Skymouse

Administrator of wetbbs.com, the panty wetting message board.

Photographer & videographer for Skymouse Productions, which supplies photosets and videos for Wetting Her Panties, the panty-wetting video and photo site.

I have tested with Firefox 5.0 and have no issue. I didn't previously need to click twice, so there could be a link where anyone who previoulsy had to do that might now have lost access.

I have even tested with NoScript blocking all scripting and active components and it still works fine.

As well as referrer headers, two other things occur to me:
    • I may be wrong, but I thought that Firefox 5.0 was going to tighten up cross-domain rules, so it is worth checking that all cookies and page elements belong to the correct page domain.
    • I disable referring URLs to Firefox to check if they are black-listed. It is worth checking whether this solves the problem.
    Regards, Wet Trousers (WT)
    (I was over 18 in the pics used to make my avatar - in fact, the trousers were nearer 18 than I was!)

I tried the website in the meantime on 2 other computers in the house that are now on FF5 and they work normally. Kinda weird. As soon as I install FF5 on the laptop where I normally work on it tells me right away that Echofon won't work in this FF setup. And it's the same Echofon version that does work on both other computers in FF5.
    So it becomes more of a mystery to me. Same FF5, same anti-virus settings, same Windows XP, same add-ons and same plug-ins on 3 computers. Also I checked the FF5 options and each and every setting is the same on all 3.
    I get no warning in FF5 when I try to enter my own site. It just refuses. The double clicking to enter the site seems something that more people ran into since a few weeks I read at the Wetset board. No complains anywhere tho about FF5 so it must be something on the laptop. I should install it again for a few minutes and make a PrtSc of the (Echofon) error it gives when I start FF5. It's an error that doesn't ring any bells to me, but maybe some of you instantly say: "Aha, that's it"

Ger.

Lightbulb Re: About Firefox 5.0

Aaaaaah! I don't know about Echofon, but I have had a situation where a plugin to Firefox caused an error that stopped other features working.

Some plugins like this work by adding script or other content to pages you are browsing and others take stuff away. NoScript is a pretty brutal example that use (which works). If there is an error in what they do to the page, it can leave the page not working.

I had that with QuickJava when the t**t developers at Firefox changed the Java interface completely and didn't bother to test its status before installing their Firefox upgrade. This left things pretty f***ed and needed Firefox to be uninstalled, the old version re-installed, the plugin settings changed, the plugin uninstalled and then the Firefox upgrade reinstalled (phew!) to fix their idiocy.

I suggest that you uninstall Echofon. If it still doesn't work, uninstall and then reinstall Firefox, without Echofon. With any luck, thatmight leave your site working on that PC...
    Regards, Wet Trousers (WT)
    (I was over 18 in the pics used to make my avatar - in fact, the trousers were nearer 18 than I was!)

Just to clarify, Ger's site uses quite a simple security mechanism. When you try to view any object (page or image) other than the home page, the web site examines the Referer string that your web browser send. Normally this contains the URL of the page you are linking from, and the web site uses this knowledge to work out if you reached that page by following a link from the home page or not. If not, it redirects you back to the home page.

If your browser or some other software (e.g. firewall or some security component) blocks your browser from sending the Referer string, the web site will always think you are trying to reach the inner pages by some means other than clicking a link on the home page, and it won't work.

So if you keep getting bounced back to the home page, it means your browser or some other software on your computer is causing the HTTP Referer string not to have the conventional value or not to be sent at all.
    --
    Skymouse

Administrator of wetbbs.com, the panty wetting message board.

Photographer & videographer for Skymouse Productions, which supplies photosets and videos for Wetting Her Panties, the panty-wetting video and photo site.

I found out in the meantime that I can get the site working in FF5 on this particular computer if I first clear the cache. (Tools > Clear Recent History > Cache) I have no idea what FF or whatever other thing puts in the cache each time I start the computer or FF. But at least it works. So far I only found this on our FD website. Can I see somewhere what is stored in the cache?

Ger.